The World Health Organization defines health as “a complete state of physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
The quest for health therefore should not remain at the impromptu visit to the doctor’s office when infirmity knocks on the door, but more and more, move towards disease prevention and improving wellness.
Every car owner knows that cars are designed to require maintenance to keep them in good working order and therefore need to be serviced regularly, more so, as a car gets older. The human body with its complex organs and systems requires no less care and regular health checks are the necessary ‘servicing’ our bodies need to function at its best.
What are the benefits of a periodic health check?
- It reduces your risk of getting sick
- It can detect potentially life-threatening health conditions or diseases early
- It increases chances for treatment and cure
- It limits the risk of complications by closely monitoring existing conditions
- It contributes to an increase in lifespan and improvement in health
- It reduces healthcare costs over time by avoiding costly medical needs and services
- It helps to form a good partnership with the doctor so treatment can be more personalized and efficient
- It enables one to get updated on new medical information or technologies that are available and helpful.
Periodic health check visits could include annual well-visits, preventive screening, health counselling, age and gender appropriate cancer screenings, dental, eyesight, hearing checks and Immunisations.
Embracing a healthy lifestyle is the way to go, now more than ever, with the pandemic exposing the disadvantages of sub-optimal health. When last did you do a complete health check?